Health and Growth
This topic, which is studied at various times throughout a child's education, gives them a good grounding in how to eat for health. With so much choice in the foods we are offered these days children need to be made aware of what is good for the body and what is not. This booklet provides a few basic facts to enable them to make the right choices. It tells you about the four main food groups in an easily understood way. They learn about the bread group, the dairy group, the fruit and vegetables group and the meat group, and it explains how each group is used by the body. It also ensures that the children know which foods they need to limit and about the necessity to drink plenty of water for hydration.
This workbook has the following sentences:
- Water and a variety of food make us grow up healthy.
- There are four main food groups.
- They are Bread, Dairy, Fruit and Vegetable, and Meat Groups.
- You need some of each for a balanced diet.
- The bread group contains carbohydrates for fuel.
- Fruit and vegetables contain vitamins and fiber for health.
- Dairy foods provide calcium for strong bones and teeth.
- Meat provides protein for strong muscles.
- We also need a small amount of fat.
- Too much fat, sugar and salt is unhealthy.
Download a workbook for the handwriting style of your choice:
- Health and Growth - Zaner-Bloser Print (.pdf)
- Health and Growth - Zaner-Bloser Cursive (.pdf)
- Health and Growth - D'Nealian Print (.pdf)
- Health and Growth - D'Nealian Cursive (.pdf)
- Airships - A time when airships ruled the skies.
- Ancient Greeks - Greek gods and ancient Greece.
- Bears - Brown, polar and grizzly bears!
- Couch Potato - Health and habits.
- Dinosaurs - All about the dinosaurs.
- Earth and Space - Learn about the planets.
- Egyptians - Egyptian pharaohs and mummification.
- Electrical Safety - Good advice prevent fires and shocks!
- Electricity - Learn about electricity.
- Great Fire of London - London's most famous fire.
- Great Plague of London - London's 'Black Death'.
- Health and Growth - Write abot the four main food groups.
- How Earth Began - Gas, dust and gravity working together.
- Lighter than Air - History of hot air balloons.
- Moving and Growing - The human skeleton.
- My Body - More about your bones.
- Oceans - All about water, the seas and tidal currents.
- People Who Help Us - Community helpers.
- Titanic - The unsinkable ship that sank.
- Water Cycle - Evaporation, condensation and precipitation.