How the Earth Began
This topic gives children an understanding of why and how Earth was formed. It links in with the topic on the Earth, the Sun and the Moon studied by nine and ten year old children. It goes back to the time before Earth existed over four and a half billion years ago and tells how hot gases and dust spiraling around the sun clumped together by their own gravity and cooled to form our planet. Other planets were formed at the same time. It also tells you what the Earth is made up of, what lies at its centre, how the surface was later formed and how the oceans came about.
This workbook has the following sentences:
- Four and a half billion years ago the Earth did not exist.
- Earth began as hot gases and dust spiraling round the sun.
- As the Earth cooled it gave off gases to form its atmosphere.
- The gases cooled and were clumped together by their own gravity.
- The Earth has a core of iron and nickel.
- The rocky crust is made of oxygen and silicon.
- Later, meteor craters and volcanoes covered it.
- Steam from the cooling Earth became oceans.
- The Earth is flattened at the poles.
- Water only exists on the Earthfs surface.
Download a workbook for the handwriting style of your choice:
- How the Earth Began - Zaner-Bloser Print (.pdf)
- How the Earth Began - Zaner-Bloser Cursive (.pdf)
- How the Earth Began - D'Nealian Print (.pdf)
- How the Earth Began - D'Nealian Cursive (.pdf)
- Airships - A time when airships ruled the skies.
- Ancient Greeks - Greek gods and ancient Greece.
- Bears - Brown, polar and grizzly bears!
- Couch Potato - Health and habits.
- Dinosaurs - All about the dinosaurs.
- Earth and Space - Learn about the planets.
- Egyptians - Egyptian pharaohs and mummification.
- Electrical Safety - Good advice prevent fires and shocks!
- Electricity - Learn about electricity.
- Great Fire of London - London's most famous fire.
- Great Plague of London - London's 'Black Death'.
- Health and Growth - Write abot the four main food groups.
- How Earth Began - Gas, dust and gravity working together.
- Lighter than Air - History of hot air balloons.
- Moving and Growing - The human skeleton.
- My Body - More about your bones.
- Oceans - All about water, the seas and tidal currents.
- People Who Help Us - Community helpers.
- Titanic - The unsinkable ship that sank.
- Water Cycle - Evaporation, condensation and precipitation.