The Plague of London
This topic is often covered by seven to eleven year old children who are studying the Tudors and Stuarts. It tells of the Black Death which occurred in the year 1665 in the form of plague. It was called the Black Death because the victims were covered with black-coloured bumps leading to inevitable death. The plague germs were carried by fleas which lived as parasites on rats. The disease was rampant in Holland in 1663 and Charles 2nd, who was king of England at that time, forbade any trade with the Dutch. Despite this the spring of 1665 brought a sudden rise in the death rate in the poorer areas of London, and as the spring turned into one of the hottest summers the number of deaths escalated. This booklet gives the children a few facts to help them learn about this dreadful event.
This workbook has the following sentences:
- King Charles II was the King of England.
- In 1665, death came to the city of London.
- It was called the Black Death.
- The plague was carried by fleas on rats.
- The plague first started in Holland.
- England stopped trading with Holland.
- The plague came during a very hot summer.
- There were a thousand deaths a week in the city.
- You needed a certificate of health to leave London.
- The plague ended in the Great Fire of London.
Download a workbook for the handwriting style of your choice:
- The Plague - Zaner-Bloser Print (.pdf)
- The Plague - Zaner-Bloser Cursive (.pdf)
- The Plague - D'Nealian Print (.pdf)
- The Plague - D'Nealian Cursive (.pdf)
- Airships - A time when airships ruled the skies.
- Ancient Greeks - Greek gods and ancient Greece.
- Bears - Brown, polar and grizzly bears!
- Couch Potato - Health and habits.
- Dinosaurs - All about the dinosaurs.
- Earth and Space - Learn about the planets.
- Egyptians - Egyptian pharaohs and mummification.
- Electrical Safety - Good advice prevent fires and shocks!
- Electricity - Learn about electricity.
- Great Fire of London - London's most famous fire.
- Great Plague of London - London's 'Black Death'.
- Health and Growth - Write abot the four main food groups.
- How Earth Began - Gas, dust and gravity working together.
- Lighter than Air - History of hot air balloons.
- Moving and Growing - The human skeleton.
- My Body - More about your bones.
- Oceans - All about water, the seas and tidal currents.
- People Who Help Us - Community helpers.
- Titanic - The unsinkable ship that sank.
- Water Cycle - Evaporation, condensation and precipitation.